Thursday, July 10, 2008

From hotel to hostel to hotel to home...

While I was busy at orientation, Mark was traveling all around town dropping off rental applications to the various real estate offices. Of the apartments that we applied for, only two were available immediately, so we knew we'd probably be spending even more time at the hotel. Since we were paying $80/night, which isn't bad for Melbourne, but definitely adds up, we decided to try to find a more reasonable accommodation. While searching the internet, I came across a hostel with private rooms and a discounted weekly rate. We decided to give it a try because it would save us about $200/week.

Mark moved all of our luggage across town and got us settled in. I met up with him after orientation and we ate dinner at the little pub on the ground floor that offered $6 dinners to those staying there. After dinner we went up to the room, which was small, simple, and not nearly as nice as our hotel room, but the price was right (or so I thought). We pushed the two twin beds together and started getting ready for bed; it began with the jammed hot water faucet and went downhill from there. First I slammed my hand into the edge of the sink trying to turn the handle of the hot water faucet so I could wash my face. Then neither of us could turn it back enough to get the water to stop, so it dripped all night long. If the running water wasn't enough to keep me up all night, the opening and closing of the doors, which echoed in the hallways, was. By the time the alarm went off, I had slept maybe a total of 4-5 hours, which, those that know me well know, isn't enough. Needless to say, it wasn't worth the price we were paying, and I told Mark that I wouldn't spend another night there. So, while I was at day two of orientation, Mark moved our stuff back across town to the hotel that we had just left.

The good news is that in the midst of all of this, we received quite a few phone calls letting us know that our applications for apartments had been accepted. One of the apartments was a 1-bedroom in a new building with a great location and amenities, but didn't include a refrigerator and, at $350/week, was at the top of our price range. Although we could move in immediately, we decided to turn down the offer in hopes of being accepted for the large studio at a building nearby with a better view and a price of $220/week. Unfortunately we were turned down for the studio and another nearby 1-bedroom apartment at $280/week, but we were accepted for a 1-bedroom in the heart of the city for $320/week. We decided to take it, but we can't move in until next Wednesday, so we have to pay for another week at the hotel. Though from what Mark says, it'll be worth it. (See, the crazy thing is that I've never seen the place; it was on Mark's list of apartments to inspect, not mine. The pictures seem nice and it's in a great location with awesome views, so I'm sure I'll like it. The only thing I'm hesitant about is that I'm a little afraid of heights and it's on the 23rd floor, which is actually 24 floors up because Australians call the first floor the ground floor. Maybe I won't enjoy the awesome views after all!)

1 comment:

Scott T said...

Don't worry about the height of the floor you live on. I used to live on the 18th floor. After about five floors the results of a fall will be pretty much the same. Enjoying your postings.