Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Aussie Sports

I know, I know, I just had a post the other day, but these things come when I find something particularly amusing or interesting. For the last three days I have been subbing PE. I teach PE at that other school, but those students are hardly what one might consider normal. Anyway, in class today I was teaching (I use that term loosely) a 7th grade soccer lesson and if you were next door you would think there was a division 1 college football game going on. They were screaming at the tops of their lungs rooting on their team. In another class, they were playing basketball, and I think there were more fouls than shots. In yet another class, we played field hockey. One student punched another in the face and I went over thinking I'm gonna have to stop a fight and the one that got punched said "fair dinkum" which basically means it was only fair. Evidently I had missed an earlier punching and they had just carried on the game and the punch I witnessed was retribution, and they were done with it. These two were friends and left class together. The point is, they are rough as hell!
This is why I don't at all understand why they play cricket. Baseball is boring, but this is on another level entirely. Baseball is like watching mixed martial arts compared to cricket. They take naps and tea breaks in cricket... and then call it a sport! The games go on for days. This is not an exaggeration, they actually take 5 days for a proper cricket match. I sincerely believe they made up cricket just to make every other sporting event look exciting. Even golf and bowling are thrill seekig sports compared to this.
I will do my best to explain, the bowler (pitcher) runs from like 20 yards back then does this odd little "bowl" that isn't a throw because you have to keep a straight arm (the kids all make fun of my bowling) at three little sticks then if the batter hits it... he doesn't have to run. He can just stand there. And so it continues for days and days. I could go into more detail but I am getting bored of even writing about it. Plus, I tend to ramble in these posts so we'll leave it at that.

No comments: