Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Two steps forward, one step back...

When we started getting closer to wrapping up this adventure, I was feeling like we were going to take a step back in life. You know- returning to the same house (minus a bed and some other furniture), same jobs (except I'm now teaching 8th grade math- probably not a lot of bioethics to incorporate into that), basically the same life with a lot less stuff (including money). But now I'm realizing, that despite all that, we have so much more. It's amazing everything we've gained from this experience- including weight :)

*We've learned how to establish ourselves in a foreign country and to live in 400 sq. ft., in the middle of a large city, without a car

*We've made friends with a Brit, a handful of Ozzies (including one of the Kiwi-sort), and even some Americans

*Plus- we've learned that even though life goes on for our friends back home, it doesn't mean that they aren't in our thoughts and we aren't in theirs

*We've learned to appreciate our jobs as teachers

*We've experienced nightlife in the middle of the week (and it wasn't even summertime or spring break)

*We've mastered the skills of both press and instant coffee and have an appreciation for them both

*Plus- I can now confidently explain the difference between a long black, short black, flat white, latte, cappuccino, long machiato, short machiato, mocha, etc.

*We've cooked with fresh, locally grown food from the Queen Vic Market and even created meals that we used to get from a jar, box, or frozen food section

*I'm getting pretty good at telling the difference between merlot, cabernet sauvignon, shiraz and even distinguishing between the regions of South Australia, Victoria, and New South Whales

*Mark has figured out how to limit his downloads (though I'm sure he can't wait to get back to the US so he doesn't have to do this anymore)

*Plus- I've found an Aussie series to follow (that in itself is an accomplishment given the shows on tv here)

*We no longer think that the Australian, New Zealander, and English accent sound the same

I'm sure that there's so much more that I'm forgetting and even more that I won't realize until I get home. The bottom line is that I no longer feel like I'm returning with less than I started with- and that's a good feeling!

Cheers!

No comments: