Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Teaching again

First off, I must be just a touch off, I quit a job where I spent 3 hours a week in class that paid the rent and then some (Jewish school), and another that pretty much was covered in the simple instructions of "don't talk too loud" and "if anyone comes by act like your working" (substitute teaching)
I gave these up to spend twice as much time with kids, develop lesson plans, order materials, grade work, and maintain a full woodworking shop. The thing to keep in mind on this was that the 3 hours a week was spent with the absolute seeds of the devil, and the other job a monkey could do. Yes, I got a real job for the last month of our Aussie life. When I quit the evil place, I was offered a full time gig at a real school. One where learning takes place and the students don't loathe your very existence. At first, I thought it was silly to take on responsibility like that in the last month, but I was longing to actually teach something and not just roll out a ball blow a whistle and listen to them argue. I am lovin' it! There is something that just can't be explained by watching a kid figure out what you've just explained to him. To physically watch learning take place is really something special. It reminds me why I became a teacher in the first place. Plus, it is good warm-up to going back to a real job.
In other news, Tom and Tina arrived today. I can already tell they are gonna love it. This is the first time they've left the country, and here they are... on the complete other side of the world. I only spent a few hours with them tonight and so far they dig Melbourne. We hit a local pub and had the traditional Melbourne meal of a parma and a pot. For the uninitiated, a parma is an Australiazed version of Chicken Parmesan and a pot is a glass of beer. After the meal I had them try some burger rings, and Tom wasn't a fan. They haven't tried a meat pie yet (I know they've been here 12 hours what's the hold up right?) but I told Tom that if he didn't like those he'd be sleeping on the balcony. Tomorrow they will take a Melbourne city sights tour while we are at work and then Nikki Marie will take them over to the Queen Vic Market. I'm hoping they bring home some steaks!

No comments: